Lebanon used to be known as the “Switzerland of the East” due to the diversity and financial power that it enjoyed. Today Lebanon marks it’s 72nd Independence Day. Let’s look at some interesting facts about Lebanon.
01. The diverse population of Lebanon comes from nearly 18 religions
02. The vast majority of Lebanese living outside of Lebanon
03. Lebanon is the only Arab country that has absolutely no desert
04. The world’s first ever law school was founded in the city of Beirut
The law school of Beirut was a center for the study of Roman law in classical antiquity located in Beirut. It flourished under the patronage of the Roman emperors and functioned as the Roman Empire’s preeminent center of jurisprudence until its destruction in A.D. 551
05. Lebanon is the first Middle East country that had a constitution.
06. City of Beirut is often compared with phoenix as it was destroyed and built as much as 7 times
07. Number of Syrian refugees in Lebanon is equal to 30% of Lebanese population
08. Lebanon, the country, was occupied by over 16 countries
(Egyptians – Hittites – Assyrians – Babylonians – Persians – Alexander the great’s Army – the Roman Empire Byzantine – the Arabian Peninsula – The Crusaders – the Ottoman Empire – Britain – France – Israel – Syria)
09. In springtime, and on the same day, you can ski in the mountains and/or swim in the sea
10. There are 15 rivers in Lebanon (all of them coming from its own mountains)