Banquet Intern - #25267
Marriott International, Inc
Job Category Management Development Programs/Interns
Location JW Marriott Marquis Hotel Dubai, Sheikh Zayed Road, Business Bay, Dubai, United Arab Emirates, United Arab Emirates VIEW ON MAP
Located Remotely? N
Position Type Non-Management
Position: F&B Intern Date: 01 January 2023
Business Unit: JW Marriott Marquis Hotel Dubai Career Band: Grey
Department: F&B - Banquet
Reports to: Captain, Supervisor, Asst. Manager, Manager
This job description sets out the current duties of the job role that may vary from time to time without changing the general character of the job role or the level of responsibility entailed.
Greet and serve guests in accordance with the JW Marriott’s food and beverage standards. Display aggressive hospitality with both guests and co-workers. Take pride in all facets of service to include quality, appearance, and cleanliness of self and restaurant. Smile is to be a part of the uniform.
SCOPE / BUSINESS CONTEXT
- A Full Time position based at JW Marriott Marquis Dubai.
- Number of Direct Reports - 4
- Titles of Direct Reports – Captain, Supervisor, Asst. Manager, Manager
- 1-2 years 5 star hotel experience
Skills and Knowledge
- Good communication skills
- Good team-player
- Minimum lifting 50 lbs.
- Ability to verbally communicate effectively with guests and co-workers.
- Pushing, pulling, bending, stooping, upward reaching
- Exposure to cleaning chemicals
- Prolonged periods of standing and/or walking
- Honesty and integrity above reproach
Education or Certification
The following are specific responsibilities and contributions critical to the successful performance of the position:
- Follow all JW Marriott policies and procedures
- Comply with “clean as you go” policy
- Report to work on time and in a neat, clean and pressed uniform including name badge, Daily Basics card, pen, pad, bottle opener, lighter, etc.
- Report problems immediately to a supervisor
- Correctly and efficiently, set up and break down all required banquet event and meeting room arrangements.
- Actively participate in daily stand up briefings and taste panels
- Ensure knowledge of the Basic of the Day and the Food and Beverage Brand Standards, and ensure these are followed.
- Handle an assigned station, and leave the floor only after permission from a supervisor
- Take and serve guest orders promptly and according to Brand Standards, sequence of service, and sales dialogue
- Serve all beverages in accordance with Brand Standards and Use Records
- To coordinate all as per of meeting room and function set ups service and breakdown.
- To receive function assignments and discuss any last minute changes with shift leaders.
- Return all equipment not in use to its proper storage area in a clean condition before the end of each shift.
- Answer any guest questions about the menu items, daily specials and beverages, including knowledge of the ingredients, preparation methods and garnishes. Make appropriate suggestions to suit guest needs and proactively up-sell items.
- Check food before serving it to the guest to ascertain that appearance, temperature and portions are correct.
- Ensure the prompt bussing of tables once the guest has departed. Ensure all re-setups of tables are clean, stain free and accurate, with special attention to detail.
- Side stations must be clean and organized at all times.
- Do all necessary set-up and side work assigned.
- Interns will be mostly expected to be in late shifts as all the set-ups are done post events
- Each associate is expected to carry out, within their capabilities, all reasonable requests by management. This may involve working in or moving to another Food & Beverage outlet.
- All Event Operations will be required to completely familiarize himself with the location of each of the function rooms and related areas and the various workable types of set up to include the following: school style, theatre style, conference style, U-Shape, Hollow square, Hollow rectangle, Banquet style, T-Shape, E-Shape, Different types of buffet set up, Coffee Trolley. Set up, service, breakdown and vacuuming of all department functions to include: meetings, breakfast, lunch, dinner, receptions, banquet hall cleaners, dances/concerts, exhibits, general cleaning of all area and vacuum, outdoor catering.
Safety and Security
- Report work related accidents, or other injuries immediately upon occurrence to manager/supervisor.
- Follow company and department safety and security policies and procedures to ensure a clean, safe, and secure environment.
- Notify Loss Prevention/Security of any guest reports of theft.
Policies and Procedures
- Follow company, hotel and department policies and procedures.
- Follows Marriott International Hotels Limited Regional Office policies and procedures
- Protect the privacy and security of guests and coworkers.
- Maintain confidentiality of proprietary materials and information.
- Ensure uniform, nametags, and personal appearance are clean, hygienic, professional and in compliance with company policies and procedures.
- Protect company tools, equipment, machines, or other assets in accordance with company policies and procedures.
- Perform other reasonable job duties as requested by Supervisors and Management.
- Working hours as required to do your job but normally not less than 48 hours per week.
- Actively listen and respond positively to guest questions, concerns, and requests using brand or property specific process (e.g., LEARN, JW Symphony of Service) to resolve issues, delight, and build trust.
- Assist other employees to ensure proper coverage and prompt guest service.
- Anticipate guests' service needs, including asking questions of guests to better understand their needs and watching/listening to guest preferences and acting on them whenever possible.
- Address guests' service needs in a professional, positive, and timely manner.
- Engage guests in conversation regarding their stay, property services, and area attractions/offerings.
- Thank guests with genuine appreciation and provide a fond farewell.
- Welcome and acknowledge each and every guest with a smile, eye contact, and a friendly verbal greeting, using the guest's name when possible.
- Supply guests/residents with directions and information regarding property amenities, services, and hours of operation, and local areas of interest and activities.
- Answer telephones using appropriate etiquette including answering the phone within 3 rings, answering with a smile in one's voice, using the callers' name, transferring calls to appropriate person/department, requesting permission before placing the caller on hold, taking and relaying messages, and allowing the caller to end the call.
- Speak to guests and co-workers using clear, appropriate and professional language.
- Talk with and listen to other employees to effectively exchange information.
Working with Others
- Support all co-workers and treat them with dignity and respect.
- Handle sensitive issues with employees and/or guests with tact, respect, diplomacy, and confidentiality. Develop and maintain positive and productive working relationships with other employees and departments.
- Partner with and assist others to promote an environment of teamwork and achieve common goals.
Quality Assurance/Quality Improvement
- Comply with quality assurance expectations and standards, e.g. GuestVoice and JW Marriott Brand Standard Audit.
- Enter and locate work-related information using computers and/or point of sale systems.
- Stand, sit, or walk for an extended period of time or for an entire work shift.
- Read and visually verify information in a variety of formats (e.g., small print).
- Move, lift, carry, push, pull, and place objects weighing less than or equal to 10 pounds without assistance.
Marriott International is an equal opportunity employer. We believe in hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive, people-first culture. We are committed to non-discrimination on any protected basis, such as disability and veteran status, or any other basis covered under applicable law.
Marriott Hotels strive to elevate the art of hospitality, innovating at every opportunity while keeping the comfort of the oh-so-familiar all around the globe. As a host with Marriott Hotels, you will help keep the promise of “Wonderful Hospitality. Always.” by delivering thoughtful, heartfelt, forward-thinking service that upholds and builds upon this living legacy. With the name that’s synonymous with hospitality the world over, we are proud to welcome you to explore a career with Marriott Hotels. In joining Marriott Hotels, you join a portfolio of brands with Marriott International. Be where you can do your best work, begin your purpose, belong to an amazing global team, and become the best version of you. JW Marriott is part of Marriott International's luxury portfolio and consists of more than 100 beautiful properties in gateway cities and distinctive resort locations around the world. JW believes our associates come first. Because if you’re happy, our guests will be happy. JW Marriott associates are confident, innovative, genuine, intuitive, and carry on the legacy of the brand’s namesake and company founder, J.Willard Marriott. Our hotels offer a work experience unlike any other, where you’ll be part of a community and enjoy true camaraderie with a diverse group of co-workers. JW creates opportunities for training, development, recognition and most importantly, a place where you can pursue your passions in a luxury environment with a focus on holistic well-being. Treating guests exceptionally starts with the way we take care of our associates. That’s The JW Treatment. In joining JW Marriott, you join a portfolio of brands with Marriott International. Be where you can do your best work, begin your purpose, belong to an amazing global team, and become the best version of you.