Captain - LIV - #33219
Marriott International, Inc
Job Category Food and Beverage & Culinary
Location W Dubai - The Palm, West Crescent, Dubai, United Arab Emirates, United Arab Emirates VIEW ON MAP
Located Remotely? N
Position Type Non-Management
Communicate service needs to chefs and stewards throughout functions. Total charges for group functions, and prepare and present checks to group contacts for payment. Ensure banquet rooms, restaurants, and coffee breaks are ready for service. Ensure proper centerpieces are displayed on every table. Inspect the cleanliness and presentation of all china, glass, and silver prior to use. Check in with guests to ensure satisfaction. Set tables according to type of event and service standards. Communicate additional meal requirements, allergies, dietary needs, and special requests to the kitchen. Maintain cleanliness of work areas throughout the day.
Follow all company and safety and security policies and procedures; report accidents, injuries, and unsafe work conditions to manager; and complete safety training and certifications. Ensure uniform and personal appearance are clean and professional, maintain confidentiality of proprietary information, and protect company assets. Welcome and acknowledge all guests according to company standards. Speak with others using clear and professional language, and answer telephones using appropriate etiquette. Develop and maintain positive working relationships with others, support team to reach common goals, and listen and respond appropriately to the concerns of other employees. Ensure adherence to quality expectations and standards. Move, lift, carry, push, pull, and place objects weighing less than or equal to 25 pounds without assistance. Stand, sit, or walk for an extended period of time. Perform other reasonable job duties as requested by Supervisors.
Safety and Security
- Report work related accidents, or other injuries immediately upon occurrence to manager/supervisor.
- Identify and correct unsafe work procedures or conditions and/or report them to management and security/safety personnel.
- Follow company and department safety and security policies and procedures to ensure a clean, safe, and secure environment.
- Use proper equipment, wear appropriate personal protective clothing (PPE), and employ correct lifting procedures, as necessary, to avoid injury.
- Follow property specific procedures for handling emergency situations (e.g., evacuations, medical emergencies, natural disasters).
- Follow policies and procedures for the safe operation and storage of tools, equipment, and machines.
- Complete appropriate safety training and certifications to perform work tasks.
- Maintain awareness of undesirable persons on property premises.
Policies and Procedures
- Protect the privacy and security of guests and coworkers.
- Maintain confidentiality of proprietary materials and information.
- Ensure uniform, nametags, and personal appearance are clean, hygienic, professional and in compliance with company policies and procedures.
- Follow company and department policies and procedures.
- Protect company tools, equipment, machines, or other assets in accordance with company policies and procedures.
- Perform other reasonable job duties as requested by Supervisors.
- Full compliance with Marriott policies and procedures.
- Adhere to International Summary Risk Assessment and Control Self-Assessment Audits.
- Address guests' service needs in a professional, positive, and timely manner.
- Welcome and acknowledge each and every guest with a smile, eye contact, and a friendly verbal greeting, using the guest's name when possible.
- Actively listen and respond positively to guest questions, concerns, and requests using brand or property specific process (e.g., LEARN, PLEASED, Guest Response, LEAP) to resolve issues, delight, and build trust.
- Anticipate guests' service needs, including asking questions of guests to better understand their needs and watching/listening to guest preferences and acting on them whenever possible.
- Thank guests with genuine appreciation and provide a fond farewell.
- Assist other employees to ensure proper coverage and prompt guest service.
- Provide assistance to individuals with disabilities, including assisting visually, hearing, or physically-impaired individuals within guidelines (e.g., escorting them when requested, using words to explain actions, writing directions on paper, moving objects out of the way, or offering access to Braille or TDD phones).
- Engage guests in conversation regarding their stay, property services, and area attractions/offerings.
- Speak to guests and co-workers using clear, appropriate and professional language.
- Provide assistance to coworkers, ensuring they understand their tasks.
- Talk with and listen to other employees to effectively exchange information.
- Answer telephones using appropriate etiquette including answering the phone within 3 rings, answering with a smile in one's voice, using the callers' name, transferring calls to appropriate person/department, requesting permission before placing the caller on hold, taking and relaying messages, and allowing the caller to end the call.
- Discuss work topics, activities, or problems with coworkers, supervisors, or managers discreetly and quietly, avoiding public areas of the property.
- Exchange information with other employees using electronic devices (e.g., pagers and two-way radios, email).
- Prepare and review written documents (e.g., daily logs, business letters, memoranda, reports), including proofreading and editing written information to ensure accuracy and completeness.
- Ensure that hourly employees are trained on company core values, job roles, responsibilities, and technical and service aspects of the job.
- Serve as a departmental role model or mentor by working alongside employees to perform technical or functional job duties.
- Assign and ensure work tasks are completed on time and that they meet appropriate quality standards.
- Encourage and motivate employees to perform their best, take responsibility for tasks and assignments, make decisions and provide input on possible improvements.
- Listen to hourly employees' suggestions for improving how work is done and how guests are served, gaining management support as needed to act upon suggestions.
- Coordinate tasks and work with other departments to ensure that the department runs efficiently.
- Assist management to ensure that hourly employees have the necessary resources to effectively perform their jobs (e.g., supplies, equipment, and inventory).
- Ensure employee compliance with company standards and policies and external regulations (e.g., safety, OSHA, department-specific procedures such as food standards).
- Collaborate with management to formally recognize hourly employees' performance contributions.
- Assist management in establishing and communicating goals, performance expectations, timetables and deadlines for shift or departmental operations to hourly employees and ensure that they are understood.
- Collaborate with management to develop and carry-out ideas and procedures, and set goals to continuously improve department performance around guest and employee satisfaction scores.
Working with Others
- Develop and maintain positive and productive working relationships with other employees and departments.
- Support all co-workers and treat them with dignity and respect.
- Partner with and assist others to promote an environment of teamwork and achieve common goals.
- Handle sensitive issues with employees and/or guests with tact, respect, diplomacy, and confidentiality.
- Actively listen to and consider the concerns of other employees, responding appropriately and effectively.
Quality Assurance/Quality Improvement
- Comply with quality assurance expectations and standards.
- Monitor the performance of others to ensure adherence to quality expectations and standards.
- Identify and recommend new ideas, technologies, or processes to increase organizational efficiency, productivity, quality, safety, and/or cost-savings.
- Stand, sit, or walk for an extended period of time or for an entire work shift.
- Enter and locate work-related information using computers and/or point of sale systems.
- Move, lift, carry, push, pull, and place objects weighing less than or equal to 25 pounds without assistance.
- Visually inspect tools, equipment, or machines (e.g., to identify defects).
General Food and Beverage Services
- Follow appropriate procedures for serving alcohol (e.g., TIPs (Training for Intervention Procedures), CARE (Control Alcohol Risks Effectively)).
- Communicate additional meal requirements, allergies, dietary needs, and special requests to the kitchen.
- Set tables according to type of event and service standards, including types of linens, glassware, plate/chinaware, and silver/flatware, ensuring all supplies meet quality standards.
- Maintain cleanliness of work areas throughout the day, practicing clean-as-you-go procedures.
- Report any employee, guest, and/or vendor incidents and accidents to management and Loss Prevention at the time of the incident and/or accident.
- Assist your and other departments when needed to ensure optimum service to guests.
- Follow property key policies, including checking out and returning keys to appropriate departments.
- Document any and all guest and employee incidents/accidents for management follow up.
- Notify management of maintenance repairs issues.
- Ensure proper centerpieces are displayed on every table.
- Ensure that coffee makers, bread drawers, toasters, and/or steam tables are turned on/off at the appropriate times.
- Communicate with guests, other employees, or departments to ensure guest needs are met.
- Ensure staff is working together as a team to ensure optimum service to guests.
- Inspect grooming and attire of staff, and rectify any deficiencies.
- Conduct meetings with Servers and review information pertinent to set-up and service, and coordinate service.
- Assign stations and side work to Servers, and communication additions or changes to assignments as they arise.
- Communicate service needs to chefs and stewards throughout functions.
- Total charges for group functions, and prepare and present checks to group contacts for payment, adhering to all cashiering procedures/policies.
- Ensure banquet rooms, restaurants, and coffee breaks are ready for service at least 15 minutes prior to posted time.
- Inspect the cleanliness and presentation all china, glass, and silver prior to use.
Steps of Service
- Check in with guests to ensure satisfaction with each food course and/or beverages.
- Follow all state and local laws for serving alcohol responsibly (e.g., last call times).
- Document and communicate any incidents/accidents immediately to management and Loss Prevention during shift or event.
- Problem Solving
- Arithmetic Computation
- Customer Service Orientation
- Team Work
- Interpersonal Skills
- Diversity Relations
- English Language Proficiency
- Applied Reading
- Telephone Etiquette Skills
- Positive Demeanor
- Stress Tolerance
- Safety Orientation
- Detail Orientation
- Time Management
- Planning and Organizing
- Delegating and Directing
- Team Building
- Food Safety
- Food Service
Education High school diploma/G.E.D. equivalent
Related Work Experience At least 2 years of related work experience
Supervisory Experience At least 1 year of supervisory experience
W Hotels’ mission is to Ignite Curiosity, Expand Worlds. We are a place to experience life. We’re here to open doors and open minds. We are constantly inspired by new faces and new experiences. A tuned-in, up-for-anything spirit is at our core and has made us renowned for reinventing the norms of luxury around the globe. Whatever/Whenever is our culture and service philosophy that brings our guests’ passions to life. If you are original, innovative, and always looking towards the future of what’s possible, welcome to W Hotels. In joining W Hotels, you join a portfolio of brands with Marriott International. Be where you can do your best work, begin your purpose, belong to an amazing global team, and become the best version of you.