Head Baker - #43570
A surprising, chic merging of Asian style with an Egyptian aesthetic, Raffles Dubai is a 5-star luxury hotel perfectly positioned in the heart of the city , delivering impeccable service and sophisticated style.
- Assist the Executive Chef / Pastry Chef to set standards and maintain them to the Raffles standards. Ensure the smooth running of the section and see that all areas of section maintain the Raffles standard. Co-ordinate and execute training of kitchen colleagues. Be able to motivate colleagues. Cook any food on a daily basis according to business requirements
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- To report for duty punctually wearing the correct uniform and name badges at all times
- Assist the Pastry Chef in the supervision of all colleagues engaged in the Bakery kitchen.
- Hold a daily and monthly meeting with the Bakery kitchen colleagues and report to Pastry Chef.
- Assist the Pastry Chef in establish culinary standards specific to banquets which meet the needs of the target market.
- Use, wherever possible, locally and seasonally available products in menus and "specials".
- Inspect daily, all fresh food received to ensure the quality is maintained.
- Inspect twice daily all food stores and refrigerated areas and suggest, where necessary, correct storage methods to comply with Health & Safety regulations, to avoid spoilage and ensure regular turnover of food items and give completed check lists to the Pastry Chef.
- Check on a daily basis food preparation, individual costs, quality, quantity inventories and portion control.
- In conjunction with the Pastry Chef establish job methods and supervise on a regular basis and correct if necessary, cooking standards to maintain a high quality of food and service on quality basis.
- During service periods, to personally run the hot plate and assist when needed and to ensure that the presentation as well as quality of the food is in accordance with the established standards.
- Liaise with the Chief Steward in order to ensure high standards of cleanliness are maintained in all areas of the Bakery kitchen, such as machinery, small Kitchen equipment, floors and fridges, to ensure a sufficient supply of crockery and cutlery for the service and the banqueting department.
- Plan rosters on a one (1) weekly basis and to review on a daily basis with the Pastry Chef Overtime, rosters and holiday requirements and absenteeism.
- Report accidents and sickness in the Log Book and to report any such incidents to the Executive Chef / Pastry Chef on a daily basis.
- Report any problems regarding failure of machinery and small equipment to the Executive Chef / Pastry Chef and to follow up and ensure the necessary work has been carried out.
- Instruct on the correct usage of Kitchen equipment and machinery and to check that this is carried out in the correct manner by all Kitchen colleagues as set out by the Health & Safety regulations and correct the usage if necessary.
- Ensure that the standards set by the Company’s Policy and Procedures regarding personal hygiene are maintained by all Kitchen colleagues.
- Ensure that the daily logbook is utilized, and complaints are immediately reported to the Executive Chef / Pastry Chef.
- Complete material checklist e.g. mise-en-place within own department for all sections.
- Check daily each section in own department to ensure work has been carried out in the proper manner.
- Check daily function sheets within Main Board.
- Pass all information to late shift
- Mise-en-place (report everything)
- Make sure night shift is covered
- Plan and implement effective skills training programmes in conjunction with the Training Manager and Departmental Trainers.
- Maximize colleagues’ productivity and morale and consistently maintain discipline following hotel guidelines and local legislation.
- Hold a daily training session and keep records about it.
- Instruct on the correct usage of Kitchen equipment and machinery and to check that is carried out in the correct manner by all Kitchen colleagues as set out by the Health & Safety regulations and correct the usage if necessary.
- Assist the Pastry Chef to develop standard recipes which allow the Bakery kitchen department to operate at an acceptable food cost.
- Assist the Pastry Chef to maximize colleagues’ productivity in order to minimize payroll costs.
- Monitor operating costs and take corrective action when necessary to reduce expenses.
- Identify market needs and trends in terms of food for both hotel guests and the local market.
- Monitor and analyze the menus and product of competitive banqueting operations.
QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS:
- Reading, writing and oral proficiency in the English language
- High school and culinary school training.
- Strong leadership, training and organizational skills.
- Ten years of food/bakery experience.
Raffles Dubai Sheikh Rashid Road, Wafi121800 Dubai, United Arab Emirates